At Ashtree School English is taught throughout the day, not only through dedicated English lessons, but also through a wide variety of cross curricular activities.
In Key Stage1 children receive a daily 20 minute phonics session to teach the skills needed in word reading and regular individual and group reading practice sessions to develop comprehension skills. The phonics scheme our teaching is based on is Little Wandle.
Through their English lessons children will develop skills in transcription (spelling and handwriting), composition (thinking of ideas and structuring them in speech and writing) and in using grammar and Standard English.
Please find details of our curriculum and how pupils progress through it in the documents below:
- Phonics Progression (494KB)
- Persuasion Progression (607KB)
- KS2 Spelling Progression (413KB)
- Reading Progression (241KB)
- Instruction Progression (473KB)
- Explanation Progression (639KB)
- Discussion Progression (578KB)
- Spoken Language Progression (594KB)
- Recount Progression (586KB)
- Poetry Progression (513KB)
- Narrative Progression (512KB)
- School Curriculum for English (407KB)
The overarching aim for English in the 2014 National Curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
Please follow the link to see the English curriculum in full on the Government website.